In 1896, Bamboo Road Board (renamed Marble Bar Road Board in 1904) was gazetted, and in 1898 Nullagine Road Board followed. On 1 July 1961, both became Shire Councils following changes to the Local Government Act. On 27 May 1972 the two merged to form East Pilbara Shire.
MARBLE BAR - One of the hottest places in Australia, the town was officially gazetted in 1893 following the discovery of gold in the area in 1890 by a prospector named Francis Jenkins who is remembered by the name of the town's main street. The name Marble Bar was derived from a nearby jasper bar mistaken for marble and now known as Marble Bar, which runs across the bed of the Coongan River.
NULLAGINE - Nullagine is an old gold rush town in Western Australia's Pilbara region. It is located on the Nullagine River 296 km south-east of Port Hedland and 1,364 km north-north-east of Perth on the old Great Northern Highway. NEWMAN - Located about 1186 kilometres north of Perth Newman is a modern mining town that has seen unprecedented growth since 2003. Originally marginal cattle country, Newman was built in the 1960s by the Mount Newman Mining Company, with the discovery of rich iron deposits on nearby Mount Whaleback. The discovery marked the start of the resource boom in Western Australia in the 1970s. The town takes its name from nearby Mount Newman, named in honour of A.W. Newman, an early explorer who died of typhoid just before reaching the area in 1896.